Sunday, April 26, 2009
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Well, it is finally done! The Martian Queen's Necklace has finally been completed, the photographs have been taken and burned to a disk, the entry forms have been filled out and all was mailed to One Fire Mountain Way in Grants Pass, Oregon. And though I am relieved that this project has come to an end, I am sad not to be working on it everyday, but that's how things go with all my beading projects... now I can sit back and admire all my hard work and sigh a great sigh of relief that I got everything sent of by the deadline!!
Then came the part in the process that I believe was most time consuming considering the amount of real estate I had to cover... The Fringe. I love fringes but you spend so much time maneuvering your thread so that it doesn't get tangled up in what you've already completed that it takes so long to complete! It also didn't help that I kept coming up with more ideas for a fuller looking fringe! So to begin with, I sewed another layer of edging in brick stitch with the Copper Delicas and the 2mm Brown Goldstone Round beads. Then I start in the center and worked my way to the right and began with the main fringes using all the beads I had used in the main part of the necklace, some Dark Copper 2 cut Bugle Beads and Brass Fancy Drops.
I decided that what I had just completed wasn't full enough, so I added another layer of fringes.
Once that was completed I went through yet again and added the size 15 Gold Luster Rocailles to the Copper Delicas in Picot stitch.
This is where I decided to changed the netted tubes form two to one and so I spent some time pulling out all my work on them and and starting over to make one tube. I added a length of chain and some beautiful bead caps and threaded 20 awg wire through them formed a hook and attached that assembly to the necklace with jump rings. I also added a dangle of beads and my last fancy drop to the chain. That completed the entire necklace!
Then I had to wait for a sunny day to take the final pictures for the FMG contest. That day dawned yesterday. I used my light box and set it so that the sun shone through the side. My shadows were very subtle and all in all, I am very pleased with the outcome of my pictures!
Thank you so much for following me through this process. Your comments have been welcome and very encouraging. I love beading and this has been, by far, the biggest project that I've undertaken to date. I spent about 47 hours in the past three weeks working on it and I'm very pleased with the outcome. All the components for this necklace were purchased from FireMountain Gems with the exception of the Brass Flower Stamping, the Bead Caps, the Antique Brass 3mm Round beads and the Brass chain- these I purchased from Accessories Susan. Please check out her store at : http://stores.channeladvisor.com/accessoriessusan/ She's got some really great stuff!
Next on the list.... pad my inventory for the Duveneck Show on May 10th!
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Well, it's here! The final 5 days that I have left to finish The Martian Queens' Necklace. I'm so not done! But, before we get into what I have accomplished, I have an announcement to make!
The market is not up and running yet, so we'll take your information and get back to you as soon as possible.
OK, so back to the thing that has occupied 34 hours of my time in recent weeks. This week I spent quite a bit of time just finishing the rounds on the left side of the necklace, matching up what I did on the right side. When I finished the rounds I decided to add two of the gold pearls to the ends of the necklace to help taper it off.
I love the way the sun was making all those flecks of gold sparkle in the Brown Goldstone Cabs! Anyway, I then set to bezeling the pearls and two 2mm round Brown Goldstone beads and added in the Bronze Delica's to fill in the spaces. After that I trimmed off the remaining Pellon.
When that was complete, I set to working on cutting out the cutouts. I love the idea of cutouts, but they are a pain! If you get over enthusiastic (like I did on one cutout) you may end up cutting a stitch by accident and spend time mending your bead work! Be patient with yourself! I learned the hard way... So, after that was completed it was time to glue the entire piece to a sheet of Nutmeg Ultrasuede. I use E6000 and spread it all across the back of the piece and set it carefully into place. I put one of my big FMG catalogs on top of it and waited for it to cure.
While that was curing I worked on bezeling two cabs I had glued to Pellon. These cabs will be the transition links between the main body of the necklace and the "chain" part of the necklace.
Then I glued those two links to the Nutmeg Ultrasuede as well and waited for them to cure. When curing was complete, I carefully cut the excess Ultrasuede away and now I am ready to begin edging. And that's where I am at now! Tune in next weekend for the conclusion of this creative endeavor! Thank you!